Sunday 21 June 2009

The Last Frontier

I find the act of referring to Africa as the "last frontier" by the western media really hypocritical. Forgive my ignorance if I don't understand what that means. But anybody with a decent knowledge of history knows that the west owes its development to the exploitation of African material and human resources (slavery). The phrase "last frontier" makes it sound as if the west came in contact with Africa only a few years ago. It will be more appropriate if some details are added to that statement making it more specific. An example I saw somewhere was "Africa, the last infotech frontier". Now that's not bad. But one that I find quite repulsive is the title of a certain book that goes "The Last Frontier: The White Man's War for Civilisation in Africa". Now I've not read that book but the title is certainly an insult to African civilizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment